iPad Lean-to Tutorial

I recently made these for my parents, because I love mine so much. My husband ordered mine from a company a long time ago. I made up a pattern and made one for the daughter. It ended up to be a bit large so when I made these two, some adjustments were made.


I used a canvas weight of cotton fabric. See the pocket on the front? Not really necessary. I accidentally made too many and went ahead and put them on anyway.

Anyway, I started with a ten and a half inch wide strip, cut ten and a half inches tall. I marked the five inch spot and cut the triangles, four of them. (I know there are different names for different triangles, but we are just regular people here. It’s a triangle..)


To make the pockets I cut a five inch wide strip, then sewed a seam down on one side.


I used a zigzag stitch because sometimes a straight stitch gets bunchy on me. 



Next I put the pocket piece right side down on my mat, then the bottom of the triangle even with it. I cut the extra “pocket” part off then I pin. I sew about an eighth of an inch from the edges. This is to make the unit a one piecer.



I did this to all four pieces but it’s really only needed for three.

Next, I cut a small strip to fold over a few times and stitch down. It will be the loop at the top of the the project.


It is probably about six inches long. 

Next I sew the triangles together, so it makes a little pyramid. The loop will be sewn in at this time.


It’s a little hard to see in the first pic so I stuck my scissors in there. The bottom square is cut around 10.5 inches, like the bottom edges of the triangles.


It’s pretty easy to trim if it doesn’t fit well. 

Part of what makes this Lean-to work so well is the mini “pillow” that is attached to the front. The iPad rests nicely without sliding all around. To make this little pillow I cut a 5″ X 10″ piece of the same canvas fabric. I sewed the sides shut and turned it and pressed. Then I sewed about two inches from the sewn edge, leaving a small opening for stuffing.


I stuff it pretty full, for the most part using a chopstick.


It needs to be full enough not to get all flat with use. Once it is stuffed I finish the stitching where the opening is.

Now it’s time to attach it to the bottom piece. It’s at this point where one has to decide how close or far it needs to be from the actual unit. Adjust accordingly and stitch it down.


Finally it’s time to connect the top, which looks like a teepee, to the bottom. I pinned like crazy to make sure the corners matched up nicely. 


Of course we have to leave a good sized opening so the dreaded MICROBEADS can be poured in. (That sentence makes it sound like I just poured them in, easy peasy. But it was So. Not. Easy. Peasy.)


Here they are. In all their Micro-ness. They are tiny! Like the dot above the I. And talk about static electricity! Yeah, fun times! 

I filled them in my husband’s workshop over the huge garbage can. Worked out much better than when I filled the daughters and the little beads went EVERYWHERE in the sewing room!


Finally, once it got nice and full (and I had to use some stuffing for one of them, but it was good, it held the beads in!) I sewed it shut. Not by hand, by machine!


So even though it has one too many pockets, it turned out pretty cool. My mom and dad were happy with them. My mom actually said she was going to take the daughter’s when she first saw it. So hopefully they will get some good use out of them.

I tried not to be real particular about what design fell where on the pieces as I cut and worked. A new thing for me. 

Worked out okay.

LL

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s