Some days you’re the dog, some days you’re the lawn.
Ever feel like that? That’s how my day started in the sewing room today. I’ve been in this Farmer’s Wife block exchange for two years and I owe people blocks. I believe I have two sets to make and send out, seven of each, and I saved the more complicated ones for last.
Genius, I know. So I thought I’d at least complete a couple today.
I had a pretty good start, but see that unit C? Yeah, that bad boy would NOT cooperate with me, so I put this mess away. I must have unsewn three times, and that, my friends, is my limit. If the third time IS NOT the charm, the little stinkers get put away!
Then I spied my periwinkle pile. I keep it all together in a pretty basket. Makes it so appealing and fun to notice.
I try to have these little do-das ready all the time, at various stages of progress. That way I can either, make a unit or make a block. It works for me. Whenever I have extra charm pieces that I’m pretty sure I won’t use, I trim two “wacky web” pieces and two tumblers. I use the Missouri Star templates. Then I put them in their appropriate baskets so I have a pile ready to go at any moment.
Like today. I really needed something that was “ready to go” after the unsewing incident.
So first I sewed a few units together….
I know they look a little crazy, but they ALL look like that, so it’ll work. These just need those little dog ears trimmed off the corners. I’ve even starched them. I think it’s smart to do so because the outside edges are not on the straight of grain.
Here is what I do, to make these little cuties. I use the papers from MSQC, and the lapel stick. (I don’t really know why it’s called that….) I smear the glue (c’mon, it is just glue.) on the back of my wacky web piece of fabric, then stick on the paper triangle. The white piece of fabric, which will be the background, is 2.5″ x 3.5″.
Sew 1/4″ from the edge of both fabrics. In order to save time and just be efficient, I use my little wooden presser thingy on this seam. At least for now, it does what’s necessary.
The next white piece lies on the edge again. The 1/4″ will cross over a bit of the first seam at the point of the wacky web piece. This is okay.
See how nice that looks? Yes, okay, there’s some waste, but it’s not an unreasonable amount of waste. I can live with it, surely you can too. It’s at this point that I press. Sometimes it makes the papers curl up a bit, but I’m the boss of those papers so it’s NBD. (no big deal)
After pressing, the extra fabric needs to be trimmed away. I find this to be annoying, but it must be done.
How pretty, huh! After a pile are nicely trimmed, the next step is to get the papers off. Like most people, I do this while watching tv. Easy peasy.
I have also used strips in place of the 2.5″ x 3.5″ pieces and it works out just fine.
I will usually trim a bit past the tip of the paper while pulling the strip so it’s taut.
Like I said, I like to keep this project as an ongoing one. I have pieces ready for me at each stage. First, the making of the units.
The making of the blocks….
The taking the papers off….
It works for me. Today I trimmed what I sewed and will remove papers tonight. Here are the blocks before a trim, and the leftovers.
I’m sure something could be done with those pieces, but I don’t want to do it.
So, if you like the look of these fun little guys, give them a try. Yes, there seem to be a lot of steps, but that’s the deal when you’re a quilter. One step at a time, because there is no FAST or JUST in quilting!